(This position is initially open to regular part-time, bargaining unit employees of the college)
Centennial College recognizes and affirms Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and Indigenous ways of knowing as central to the vibrancy and uniqueness of its learning and working academic mission. We strongly encourage applications from members of Indigenous communities and all equity-deserving groups including Women, Racialized, Persons with Disabilities, and LGBTQ+ communities.
We also recognize that Centennial is situated on the Treaty Lands of the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation and pay tribute to their legacy as well as that of all First Peoples that have been and remain present here in Toronto. We recognize that First Peoples come from sovereign Nations and that part of understanding our responsibilities of residing on this territory are understanding the true history, circumstances and legacy of the Treaties signed here (such as the Toronto Purchase, Robinson-Huron Treaty and Williams Treaties) and including pre-contact Treaties and Agreements between sovereign Nations and that all peoples in this area are therefore Treaty people with obligations and responsibilities to all our relations.
The Academic Student Support will provide comprehensive academic support services and assistance for students both prospective and current, as well as admissions and registration support to students in the School of Engineering, Technology and Applied Science. The Academic Student Support is responsible for providing services and programs which enhance the educational and social experience of students, faculty and staff.
Incumbents are expected to deliver excellent customer service to internal and external clients, demonstrating tact, diplomacy and maintaining confidentiality. Centennial College has a diverse and multi-cultural mix of International prospects and students, which requires incumbents who are culturally sensitive, well adjusted and prepared to meet individual student needs fairly and equitably. All of this is completed under the general direction from the Operations Manager and the Chair.
- Provides students with information on College programs, processes, requirements, and services including but not limited to current program information, enrolment procedures, admission requirements, upgrading options, assessment testing, transfer credit and PLAR processes, program objectives and deliverables, postsecondary transfer opportunities, professional certification requirements, internal Centennial College processes, student services, assistance in completing program transfer/re-admit/add/drop form and important timelines.
- Liaising with Chairs, Program Coordinators, Success Advisors, Admissions, Registration and other areas.
- Ensures admissions and registration policy and procedures conform to established college and government guidelines for maintaining Student Status.
- Provide correct information to students about College academic programs, policies, procedures and regulations, and make appropriate departmental and community referrals.
- Referring students to the proper college services for resolution (e.g. Success advisors, Counselling, Learning Canters, academic contacts).
- Acting as resource for colleagues (support, faculty and administrative staff) at all campuses with respect to students’ registration, transition and recruitment activities
- Providing academic program information to assist prospects in selection of appropriate full-time program/courses.
- The incumbent provides pre-enrolment and ongoing academic assistance/ to all domestic and international full-time students to ensure a smooth transition to the Centennial College environment.
- Provides student/customer services in person, over the telephone, and in writing via email, when appropriate
- The incumbent provides support to admissions and registration services for full-time applicants by:
- Liaising with a variety of audiences such as applicants and sponsors to provide accurate information on a wide range of issues such as: program curriculum, admissions requirements and status, fees, student services, registration procedures, which includes the production of all appropriate written correspondence with applicants and sponsors
- Ensuring proper communication of information, on a timely basis to key internal constituents, on all matters pertaining to students and specialized admissions processes
- Three (3) year Diploma/Degree in Business, Communication, Social Services or related combination of education and relevant experience
- Minimum two (2) years related practical experience assisting students or clients in an educational setting or related environment (e.g. social services, public service, etc.). Experience in a post-secondary environment is an asset.
- Proficient with MS Office (Word, PowerPoint and excel (experience with Banner an asset)
- Broad knowledge of programs, processes, policies and procedures within a postsecondary system preferred
- Demonstrated student-centered approach with a high degree of sensitivity towards diversity, equity and inclusion
- Excellent verbal and written communication, interpersonal and customer service skills
- Ability to work independently and effectively on own initiative and as part of a team.
- Strong organizational skills with an exceptional ability to prioritize to meet shifting priorities
- Experience, knowledge and understanding of working effectively in a diverse environment.
Apply online: www.centennialcollege.ca/careers
Proof of credentials or equivalencies from accredited regional or federal post secondary institutions and/or their foreign equivalents will be required at the time of job offer.
When applying, your cover letter and résumé must include examples that reflect all of the requested skills and qualifications and must be submitted online by January 30, 2023 at 11:59 PM EST. Please quote Job ID J0123-1696 Misrepresentation of applicant information will be grounds for your exclusion from the competition or for dismissal should you subsequently be hired for the position. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are committed to providing persons with disabilities equal opportunities regarding all employment activities, including access to jobs and accommodations during employment as required, in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC) and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).