Reporting to the Supervisor, Accounting - Housing Services, is responsible for providing various accounting, financial, statistical, and administrative services to the Community and Health Services Department including time entry, accounts payable and receivable, service provider and operator payments and preparing and processing journal entries; providing financial and statistical recording, monitoring, reconciliation, and reporting; and maintaining accounts files and computerized records.
- Processes accounts payable by verifying calculations, ensuring accuracy in price extensions, applying appropriate discounts, matching Purchase Orders and packing slips, investigating and resolving discrepancies, affixing cost distribution and budget coding, preparing cheque and payment requisitions and obtaining appropriate authorization before issuing payment.
- Responsible for processing the weekly payment run including generating and verifying reports for accuracy and uploading bank files.
- Monitors invoice and purchase order workflows; works with staff to ensure accounts payable is processed in a timely manner.
- Prepares monthly account reconciliations and HST remittance.
- Calculates, and prepares journal entries as well as follows up on verification of processing for accuracy and timeliness; identifies errors and omissions.
- Responds to enquiries from staff, vendors and service providers on accounts payable and payment matters and ensures timely payments to vendors and service providers.
- Assists in the calculation of accounts payable statistics for the monthly management reporting package.
- Provides support for ongoing projects, including monitoring and reporting project progress, developing flow charts and task diagrams, compiling information, providing administrative support, and organizing materials.
- Successful completion of a Post Secondary Certificate/Diploma (1 year or more) in Accounting or Business field or related program or approved combination of education and experience.
- Minimum two (2) years experience in a general accounting field and in developing spreadsheet and/or database applications for financial analysis and reporting.
- Knowledge of general accounting practices and procedures and general office procedures including records management.
- Mathematical aptitude and analytical skills.
- Familiarity with policies and procedures governing time entry, accounts payable and accounts receivable.
- Computer literacy utilizing MS Office software applications as well as proficiency in spreadsheet applications.
- Ability to work in Yardy Voyager.
- Knowledge and demonstrated ability in corporate core competencies including customer focus, communication, collaboration and personal ownership.