The successful applicant will be responsible and accountable for the day-to-day administrative operations of the area office, working to support the Area Business Representatives and under the overarching direction of the Area Supervisor.
Job Responsibilities / Duties:
1)To provide administrative support to the area members by:
- Greeting and welcoming visitors as soon as they arrive at the area office;
- Providing general information regarding routine inquiries, both in-person and via phone and email, and referring non-routine, sensitive, and/or complex requests for information and inquiries or complaints to the attention of the Area Business Representative;
- Directing members to the appropriate Business Representative for scheduled meetings and escalated assistance;
- Answering, screening, and directing incoming calls and emails to the appropriate party based on the inquiry, including pension and benefits inquiries to OEBAC, training inquiries to OETIO, and other inquiries to the appropriate IUOE Local 793 department;
- Educating all members utilizing paper services about the benefits of available digital options and assisting them in understanding and adopting the digital processes (e.g. paying dues online, submitting claims through the OEBAC mobile app, etc.);
- Answering inquiries pertaining to Collective Agreement provisions in the district;
- Facilitating in-person payments where online or digital options are not possible.
2) To provide administrative support to the Area Supervisor, Business Representatives, and Organizers by:
- Assisting in the scheduling of meetings for the Area Business Representatives and general calendar administration as required;
- Assisting in arranging travel and accommodations as required;
- Providing assistance in the preparation and distribution of materials as needed, including memos, notices, meeting minutes, grievances, and other common documents utilizing required standardized templates;
- Typing final approved collective agreement drafts based on direction received from the Area Business Representative and emailing the newly updated version to the Labour Relations Department for execution;
- Maintaining a schedule of area events requiring the Business Representative and/or Area Supervisor’s involvement.
3) To ensure the efficient operation of the Area Office by:
- Ensuring that the front entrance exterior doors are unlocked during regular business hours;
- Maintaining office security by following safety procedures and controlling access via the reception desk (ensuring use of visitor logbook);
- Ensuring the reception area is tidy and presentable, with all necessary materials (e.g. brochures, etc.);
- Monitoring the inventory of office supplies and ensuring replenishment as needed;
- Maintaining updated records of office expenses and invoices as approved by the Area Supervisor and submitting associated documentation to the accounting department for review and processing;
- Receiving, opening and distributing incoming mail to the appropriate parties in a timely manner and maintaining a digital log of all incoming and outgoing mail;
- Actively maintaining a well-organized digital filing system in accordance with the established file structure requirements;
- Depositing all monies (cheques) received on a regular basis and preparing dues reports by reconciling the daily dues payments via the POS.
4) To perform other general administrative duties required to support area operations including:
- Assisting in the coordination of special events sponsored by the area office as directed by the Area Supervisor;
- Assisting in the administration of area initiatives at the direction of the Area Supervisor and Business Representative.
5) Other duties, when required, as may be assigned by the Business Manager, Area Supervisor, and/or Human Resources Department.
- A college diploma or university degree related to office administration, paralegal, or similar, or equivalent professional experience;
- Bilingual in English and French considered a strong asset;
- Knowledge of the construction industry and equipment as it relates to our environment;
- Knowledge and interpretation of Collective Agreements, Employment Insurance Legislation, Grievances, WSIB, etc.;
- Protection of information and maintaining confidentiality is paramount;
- Must demonstrate a high standard of professional conduct, ethics and reliability;
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal skills are required;
- Initiative to solve problems and able to work effectively under deadline situations;
- Capable of organizing job responsibilities and prioritizing assignments;
- Strives to grow professionally and keeps alert to current practices concerning this position;
- Copes successfully with on the job demands and maintains personal composure in stressful situations;
- Ability to work both independently, with minimal supervision, and as a team player;
- Above average computer skills including proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office applications;
- A vehicle is required for this position.
If you are qualified and interested in this position, please submit your resume, to the attention of the Director of Human Resources, outlining your qualifications and suitability to this position.
IUOE Local 793 welcomes applications from persons with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Job Type: Part-time
Part-time hours: 13 per week
Salary: $38.17 per hour
- Casual dress
- On-site parking
- Day shift
Work Location: One location