At CN, everyday brings new and exciting challenges. You can expect an interesting environment where you’re part of making sure our business is running optimally and safely―helping keep the economy on track. We provide the kind of paid training and opportunities that long-term careers are built on and we recognize hard workers who strive to make a difference. You will be able to thrive in our close-knit, safety-focused culture working together as ONE TEAM. The careers we offer are meaningful because the work we do matters. Join us!
The Auditor Revenue Control is responsible for the oversight, administration, and invoice generation of the Company’s revenue and recoverable streams, following audits, including freight, switching, haulage, optional services, car hire and non-freight. The incumbent understands the revenue and recoverable pipeline processes across various streams, as well as the interaction and connectivity of CN’s and partners’ various revenue/recoverable and operating systems. The position is accountable for identifying, analysing, evaluating, and executing revenue recapture and recovery initiatives. The role performs post transaction audits across operational domains and functions, including Revenue Management, Electronic Transaction Centre, Car Management Center, Engineering, Mechanical, and revenue/recoverable streams such as freight, switching, haulage, interline settlements, optional services, car hire and non-freight.
Execute Post-Transaction Revenue and Recoverable Audits, Analyze Data to Identify Trends and Patterns and Develop Predictive Metrics — 50%
- Help to develop, enhance, and implement controls, reports and processes using new and existing technologies to improve the revenue and recoverable audit process across various streams
- Perform ongoing audits to recapture revenue and generate recoveries across various streams and identify systemic issues
- Analyze audited data to identify trends and patterns, as well as develop predictive metrics
- Collaborate with the Manager and all other stakeholders to define, test, and implement system and process changes accordingly
- Develop and implement new tools and processes to sustain the revenue and recoverable audit process
- Generate reports and communicate results to stakeholders
Expand Scope of Revenue and Recoverable Controls — 30%
- Review and adapt controls due to the constant evolving nature of business transactions and scenarios
- Document and analyze the data flow between various Accounting, Operations and third-party systems
- Develop tools and reports to analyze interactions to help identify revenue and recoverable leakage in areas that are currently beyond the existing transactional scope
- Work with the Manager and stakeholders to identify root causes of leakage and propose solutions
- Define requirements, create test scenarios, perform user acceptance testing, and sign off on implementation of new processes and system changes
- Coordinate system enhancements, process improvements and change management with various stakeholders
- Generate reports documenting recaptured revenue and generated recoveries and communicate with stakeholders
Protect Revenue and Recoveries and Drive Cross-Functional Efficiency — 20%
- Work with stakeholders to develop and maintain clear roles and responsibilities
- Identify opportunities and solutions to consolidate workload and eliminate duplication
- Develop and maintain job aids, best practices, and training material
- Provide training and coaching to team members and other stakeholders
The role has standard working conditions in an office environment with a regular workweek from Monday to Friday. Due to the nature of the role, the incumbent must be able to meet tight deadlines, handle pressure, and stress.
- Minimum 3 years of railroading experience in accounting, operations or marketing preferably with exposure to waybilling and car event reporting, car hire or non-freight.
o Experience in handling audits or audit-related analysis
o Experience in railroad accounting or operating experience, including revenue waybill control, interline settlements, switching, haulage, car hire and non-freight
- Bachelor’s Degree with preference for Business, Finance or Accounting specialization*
- Any designation for these above would be considered as an asset
- Collaborates with others and shares information
- Communicates with impact
- Leads by example for the safety and security of all
- Sets direction and inspires others
- Applies critical thinking
- Demonstrates agility and drives change
- Fluently bilingual both written and verbal (English, French) *
- Any skills/attributes for these above would be considered as an asset
- Knowledge of the multiple revenue and recoverable streams and billing processes across various freight modes, car hire and non-freight activities and familiarity with railway billing methods, practices, and processes, as well as car event reporting practices and processes
- Knowledge of the Company’s operational systems and industry technology, including Electronic Data Interchange (EDI)
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of CN’s suite of productivity software, including Microsoft (MS) Suite (Excel, PowerPoint, and Word) and Access
- Knowledge of the organization’s primary operating systems including Service Reliability System (SRS) and Revenue Management System (RMS), SAP as well as industry technology and Rate EDI Network (REN)
- Ability to extract and analyze large amounts of data using MS Office and other strategic data mining tools
- Ability to execute and coordinate multiple deliverables concurrently
- Ability to conceptualize system process flows in order to understand interdependencies and cause-effect relationships
- Possess facilitation skills to lead discovery sessions and collect business requirements
- Knowledge of the organization and ability to network
CN is a world-class transportation leader and trade-enabler. Essential to the economy, to the customers, and to the communities it serves, CN safely transports more than 300 million tons of natural resources, manufactured products, and finished goods throughout North America every year. As the only railroad connecting Canada’s Eastern and Western coasts with the Southern tip of the U.S. through a 19,500 mile rail network, CN and its affiliates have been contributing to community prosperity and sustainable trade since 1919. CN is committed to programs supporting social responsibility and environmental stewardship. At CN, we work as ONE TEAM, focused on safety, sustainability and our customers, providing operational and supply chain excellence to deliver results.
CN is an employment equity employer and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please monitor your email on a regular basis, as communication is primarily made through email.