- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Operations, Finance, Computer Science, or related field.
- 10+ years of field sales, strategy, and operations experience with proven results, preferably in cloud
- Experience working in or with field sales or partner teams supporting at least 1 or more key industries (Auto, Energy & Utilities, FSI, HCLS, M&E, Industrial Mfg, Telco, Sports)
- Strong program management capabilities and experience building and operationalizing scale GTM frameworks and mechanisms
- Proven experience with the development and implementation of systems/tool utilized for CRM, variable incentive compensation, revenue reporting, forecasting, sales tooling, automation, etc.
The Amazon Web Services (AWS) WW Biz Dev and Strategic Industries (BDSI) team is searching for an experienced Strategic Initiatives lead to support our expanding portfolio of go-to-market solutions, capabilities, and GTM motions. The successful candidate will own org-wide strategy, planning, and execution for 1 or more BDSI strategic business initiatives in this portfolio. The primary objective of this role is to enable and empower our Field Sales & technical teams through envisioning and building new frameworks, operating models, and scale mechanisms to effectively land and implement our strategic initiatives, to accelerate growth and customer business outcomes. Preferred location is NY, although Seattle will be considered for the right candidate.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Work/Life Harmony. Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren’t focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we’re happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life—both in and outside of work.
Mentorship and Career Growth. Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded professional and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Key job responsibilities
The AWS Business Development and Strategic Industries (BDSI) team sets forth and executes AWS business strategy for our 8 IBU’s plus Strategic Accounts. In addition to managing a set of strategic AWS customers, we also identify Industry Use Cases and necessary solutions & capabilities that we need to bring to market to have a differentiated value proposition for each Industry. This Principal Strategic Initiatives lead role will spearhead the effort of our 3-year growth planning & strategy for the business, aligned to our existing mission, charter, and GTM strategy. Leveraging key data, signals, and trends from our industry customers and partners, the role will think big and creatively for new ways to drive growth and adoption across our customer base. It involves understanding what key growth levers (new or existing) that we can leverage, coming up with new ideas, and then turning these ideas and levers into practical execution models that we can land with our customers and partners, to achieve our desired outcomes.
A day in the life
This role will serve as the BDSI Business Operations lead for our 3-year growth strategy & planning initiative (3YP), and encompasses working with a broad set of key stakeholders across our Strategic Industries team and AWS, including BDSI IBU leaders, Industry Specialists, Specialist Sales, Proserve, Partner, Services, and Finance, to ensure we are operating as #oneteam. The 3-year growth & planning leader will think big about how we can evolve and grow the BDSI business over a 3-year time horizon. This will include looking across a broad set of data and customer/partner signals for trends and other insights, then envisioning and experimenting with new GTM motions and scale mechanisms which can have an outsized impact on our business.
About the team
The AWS BDSI Business Operations team has the mission & charter to create and execute the “operational backbone” and scalable mechanisms to achieve our strategic priorities, across our 8 Strategic Industry Business Units (IBU’s) plus Strategic Accounts.
- Exhibits sound business judgment, a proven ability to influence others, strong analytical skills, and a proven track record of taking ownership, leading data-driven analyses, and influencing results.
- Strong leader with the ability to quickly earn trust and drive influence.
- Ability to draw upon solid analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills to effectively manage the sales industry specialization planning and operational cadence.
- Ability to roll-up his/her sleeves, and work directly with models/data, be detail-oriented, analytical, and have excellent problem-solving abilities.
- Superb communication and customer-relationship skills
- Outstanding analytic insight, be highly successful at working with a wide variety of executive and business stakeholders to influence change
- Ability to advocate for their customers and partners.
- Ability to drive towards simple, scalable solutions to difficult problems, have excellent project-management skills, and be able to communicate complex strategies or analytical results, both written and verbally, in a clear and easy-to-understand way.
The pay range for this position in New York City is $193,700- 262,000/yr; however, base pay offered may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. A sign-on bonus and restricted stock units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the position offered. This information is provided per the New York City Human Rights Law. Base pay information is based on market location. Applicants should apply via Amazon's internal or external careers site.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Workers in New York City who perform in-person work or interact with the public in the course of business must show proof they have been fully vaccinated against COVID or request and receive approval for a reasonable accommodation, including medical or religious accommodation.