Dedicated exclusively to children and their families, The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) is one of the largest and most respected paediatric healthcare centres in the world. As innovators in child health, we lead and partner to improve the health of children through the integration of healthcare, leading-edge research and education. Our reputation would not have been built – nor could it be maintained – without the skills, knowledge and experience of the extraordinary people who come to work here every day. SickKids is committed to ongoing learning and development, and features a caring and supportive work environment that combines exceptionally high standards of practice.
When you join SickKids, you become part of our community. We share a commitment and determination to fulfill our vision of Healthier Children. A Better World.
Don’t miss out on the opportunity to work alongside the world’s best in paediatric healthcare.
The neurosurgery and neuro-oncology programs within the brain tumor research centre at the Hospital for Sick Children are excited to offer a unique opportunity for a clinical research coordinator to work with both teams on innovative clinical trials.
BASIC FUNCTION: The individual will have reporting responsibilities to the specific trial lead and supported/mentored by the neuro-oncology and neurosurgery program heads as well as the project manager who will be responsible for the execution of the clinical trials.
For the initial trial, the Neurosurgery/Oncology Division of Sick Kids Hospital and in collaboration with Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre Neurosurgery will be the Lead and Principal Investigator and be responsible for all aspects of study coordinating and management as well as timely and accurate data entry and oversight. The position is within Sick Kids Hospital.
About Focused Ultrasound
- Focused Ultrasound (FUS) is a non-invasive, image guided surgical modality that can be used to lesion deep brain targets or open the blood brain barrier in various brain-based disorders
- Clinical trials in Phase I/II are ongoing for oncology applications and drug delivery at Sunnybrook Research Institute (SRI) within Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre (SHSC)
- SRI is one of the leading global centers for FUS applications and one of the world’s leading experience in clinical use of this medical device. Sick Kids Hospital will be collaborating with SRI to conduct a clinical trial of drug delivery for pediatric brain tumor using the FUS application.
Primary responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Under the supervision of the clinical trials project manager, help open and execute clinical trials in neuro-oncology and neurosurgery
- Support all aspects of clinical trial coordination from study start-up to completion including performing informed consent procedures, enrollment, organizing study visits per protocol, executing all protocol related study activities
- Liaise with study personnel at coordinating sites to maintain flow of study activities
- Assists in study recruitment and coordination of study visits
- Monitors study activities to ensure compliance with protocols and with regulatory and institutional polices
- Maintains required records of study activity including case report forms, clinical records, and regulatory forms
- Assesses eligibility of potential subjects through methods such as screening interviews, reviews of medical records, and discussions with physicians and nurses. Oversees subject enrollment to ensure that informed consent is properly obtained and documented and screening procedures are completed as per protocol specifications
- Schedules required study visits and assessments, coordinates with internal staff and investigators as well as communicates appointments to the patient and/or their legal guardian(s)
- Records adverse event data and confers with investigators regarding the reporting of events to oversight bodies
- Identifies protocol problems, informs investigators of problems, or assists in problem resolution efforts such as protocol revisions
- Involved in all aspects of data entry for oncology pediatric trials trial data management
- Support team members in preparation for site monitoring visits or potential audits by assisting with completion of electronic and paper case report forms
- Familiarity with all active protocols and assist with patient flow during treatment days and/study visits
- Assist with general administrative tasks related to the conduct of research study activities
- Provide support to study patients by helping them navigate the hospital during scheduled study visits and assessments
- Assist with Research Ethics Board applications including amendments and annual renewals as required
- Assist with amending of study documentation as well as collecting/maintaining all pertinent study regulatory documents as required
In addition, you will be expected to:
- Work within the larger context of Sick Kids Hospital and observe Hospital and Research Institute rules and regulations, policies, procedures, practices, safety procedures and current legislation, in particular the Human Rights Code regarding discrimination and harassment.
- Ensure the confidentiality of patient, employee and Hospital information at all times.
- Work cooperatively and constructively with the other members of staff.
- Perform the above functions in a manner which reflects Sick Kids Hospital philosophy and mission of service, while promoting and maintaining good public relations with patients, visitors and staff.
- Bachelor’s degree, Science/or Health Science preferred
- Experience with Good Clinical Practice, clinical research trials and electronic data capture databases preferred
- Strong interpersonal, time management, and organizational skills
- Strong attention to detail required
- Experience with pharmacy nomenclature and /or neuropsychometric assessments preferred
- Familiarity with Research Ethics Board submissions is an asset
- Experience in clinical trial coordination is an asset
- Training in Biosafety, WHMIS, and Occupational Health and Safety regulations.
- Working knowledge of general-purpose computer software (including, but not limited to Excel, MS Word, Power point)
- Ability to set priorities and manage time successfully to coordinate workflow around deadlines and shifting priorities
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume, cover letter and contact information of three references.
We would like to thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Our Commitment to Diversity
The children and families we care for are from a variety of communities, and so are our employees. We welcome and encourage everyone to join our organization and be part of our team.
When requested, SickKids will provide access and inclusion supports to eligible candidates to support their full engagement during the interview and assessment process. Information received related to access or inclusion will be addressed confidentially.
Thank you for your interest in joining SickKids. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. In accordance with our Hospital policy, employment at SickKids is conditional upon the Hospital’s receipt of all necessary documentation.
FOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS ONLY: As a health care institution, our highest priority is the safety of patients, families and staff. As a result, we are adopting all prevention measures to ensure the safety of our patients, families and our staff. Therefore, any offer of employment is conditional upon you submitting proof that you have been fully vaccinated with a Health Canada or World Health Organization (WHO) approved COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible and no later than fourteen (14) calendar days prior to the effective start date, in addition to satisfying any other condition(s) that may be set out in an offer. If a candidate fails to satisfy this condition (or any other condition(s) set out in an offer), any offer of employment shall be immediately rescinded.
How to Apply
Tip: Combine your cover letter and resume into ONE document of 20 pages or less as you cannot upload multiple documents as part of your application.
If you are still experiencing technical difficulties please email [email protected] to send us a short description of the issues you are experiencing. Please note that we will not accept resumes sent to this inbox but we are happy to respond to requests for technical assistance.