Vacancy Type: Permanent
Number of Positions: 1
Closing Date: 09/28/2022
Reporting to the Supervisor of Department Communications, the successful candidate will support the development and implementation of communication strategies and tactical plans; contribute creative ideas and content for the City’s social media channels and build positive working relationships within the Strategic Communications and Initiatives team and across the organization.
This position will be required to work in a hybrid work arrangement (work from home and some work in the office). Our offices are located at Mississauga City Hall, 300 City Centre Drive, Mississauga.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Successful candidate will:
- Work collaboratively with other team members to research, develop and support tactical communications plans, campaigns and strategies that deliver focused and measurable results
- Create, post and update content (e.g. website copy, media items, feature articles, newsletter copy, social media posts etc.) on the City's internal and external platforms (website, intranet site, SharePoint, event calendars etc.) as well as social media channels and platforms
- Contribute creative/innovative ideas to the social media publication/content calendar and actively support social media operations with content writing and scheduling as well as monitoring and responsing
- Collaborate with Senior Communications Advisors and other members of the team to assist with the delivery of project work
- Assist with research, tracking and reporting for projects and communications activities which may include generating social analytics reports and monitoring for improvements or changes
- Assist in co-ordinating the distribution of news releases
- Research and keep abreast of new trends on social media platforms and within public relations, communications and public engagement
- Act as an effective collaborator and team player to support the overall goals and vision of the Strategic Communications and Initiatives Division
- Participate as required within the Strategic Communication and Initiatives emergency response team
- Support the team and perform other duties as assigned including acting as a back-up for other team members.
Skills and Qualifications
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in communications, public relations, journalism or related business field
- Minimum 1 to 3 years of professional experience in communications and social media
- Demonstrated experience creating, planning and executing tactical communications and social media plans with a proven track record of creativity and innovative thinking
- Experience with and understanding of social media channels and social media management platforms and trends
- Strong research, writing, oral communications and planning skills required
- Excellent skills and knowledge working with MS Office, Excel, SharePoint, presentation software, Content Management Systems (CMS) and basic desk top design publishing experience required
- Proactive, flexible and collaborative approach to work
- Strong attention to detail
- Experience with operating a DSLR camera and video camera
- Ability to prioritize, multitask and work to deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to display tact and diplomacy when working with dignitaries, Senior Leaders, Mayor and Council
- Understanding of Canadian Press Style standards
- Must be able to attend meetings, events and activities outside of regular business hours and some weekends
- Experience in a corporate and/or municipal sector is preferred.
Hourly Rate/Salary: $ 64,464.00 - $ 85,952.00
Hours of Work: 35
Work Location: Civic Centre
Department/Division/Section: CMO/City Manager's Office , CMO/Strategic Communications&Initiatives , Corporate & Department Communication
Non-Union/Union: Non Union
COVID-19 Update: As per the City’s Employee Recruitment Policy, all external candidates (including previously employed individuals) must show their Fully Vaccinated Confirmation or apply for and receive confirmation of a creed or medical exemption from the City before their first day.
A Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (Level 2) will be required of the successful candidate, at their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. You can also check your application status in your candidate profile online.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.