Youth Community Action Network Coordinator
Prince George, BC
Full-time contact position(35-37.5 hours/ week)
Typically, business hours with some flexibility required
What you will gain
$45,000-$48,000 annually; eligible for benefits after 3 months
4 weeks of annual vacation
Discount on child care (excluding infant and toddler)
Who we are
Rooted in Northern BC for over 50 years, the YMCA of Northern BC is a charity of over 400 staff and volunteers working together to strengthen the foundations of our community through promoting healthy living, fostering belonging, inclusion, and connection, and helping children, families, and seniors thrive. We offer opportunities for personal growth and create social change through child care services, camp programs, community health services, employment services, recreation, and health and fitness services.
What you will do
At the YMCA people are our greatest asset and we are proud to be an employer of choice. Working at the YMCA means you are part of a fun, positive team in an environment of honesty, caring, respect, responsibility, and inclusivity. The YMCA is committed to providing our community the support it needs to thrive through employment, youth services, and programming for families and seniors. We believe a vibrant, healthy community is one in which everyone feels a sense of belonging and connection.
What you will bring
Our caring community health providers are passionate about helping children, youth, families, and seniors live well. They believe in guiding each individual through a holistic approach to health that embodies all aspects of physical, mental, and social well-being to support people to live healthier, happier lives.
Responsibilities and abilities
The YMCA Community Action Network is an innovative national program that engages local youth to address community needs through service projects. The program coordinator will recruit, train, and mentor youth to identify, develop, deliver, and evaluate service projects in Prince George and the surrounding area. With guidance and support from the program coordinator, participants will develop projects that are meaningful to them and the community. Each project will develop a network of community contacts and stakeholders in order to increase the project’s effectiveness, opportunities for youth development, and value to the local community.
Key responsibilities include:
- Build positive, trusting relationships with diverse youth, including those who face barriers to participation, as well as local partners
- Work with participants and community members to foster a mutually beneficial community service project
- Build on curriculum and create content that that is accessible, adaptable, and engages diverse youth
- Perform administrative tasks, ensuring all training, files, participant paperwork and program forms are completed in a timely manner and kept up to date
- Oversee the planning and development of the program in accordance with YMCA standards
- Ensure consistent and clear communication with YMCA colleagues locally and nationally to build upon program quality, growth, and impact
- Engage new participants through building strong local network, initiating and actively participating in meetings, planning sessions, training, and events
- Understand and promote the value of “giving back” through service, philanthropy, and volunteerism
- Develop a thorough understanding of the program delivery model and resources
- Participate in quality assurance procedures and evaluation
- Post-secondary education in a related field
- Experience working with community partners in a development role
- Strong understanding of issues impacting youth and healthy youth development
- Experience working with youth in a recreational setting
- Personal understanding of and alignment with the mission, vision, strategic outcomes, and values of the YMCA
- Ability to work individually and in groups with diverse youth
- Ability to create and adapt curriculum for diverse youth and to engage and motivate all youth
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, communication, and leadership skills
- Proven ability to develop and maintain effective cooperative relationships
- Commitment to social inclusion and able to respond sensitively and with personal awareness to the diverse needs of participants, including those with barriers to participation
In addition to bringing a commitment to YMCA vision and values, and an orientation to service, the candidate should possess the following competencies: Leadership/ Coaching – Ability to direct and develop performance of self and others to achieve desired results.
- Negotiation/ Communication/Interpersonal Skills - Ability to speak, write, listen and secure information in a variety of settings. Ability to cooperate with others to achieve results. Ability to create and build relationships inside and outside the organization.
- Planning/Organizing – Ability to establish a clearly defined and effective course of action for self and others to accomplish short and long-term goals.
- Problem Solving – Ability to identify an issue, gathers and processes relevant information, determine possible solutions, selects appropriate responses and implements and evaluates them.
- Service Strategy – Ability to identify the needs and wants of members/participants as a priority and respond in an effective and timely manner to enhance every person’s YMCA experience.
- Initiative/Enthusiasm/Innovation – Ability to manage and lead in order to achieve and exceed identified goals.
- Project Resource Management – ability to manage a project from initial planning to completion.
- Teamwork/ Cooperation – ability to work cooperatively and productively with others within and across organizational units to achieve common goals; demonstrate respect, cooperation, collaboration, and consensus-building.
- How to apply
Please apply with cover letter, resume, and application (found at nbc.ymca.ca) to:
Director of Community Health
By January 30, 2023
- The YMCA thanks all those interested in this position.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
Part-time hours: 35-37.5 per week
Salary: $45,000.00-$48,000.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Company pension
- On-site gym
- Paid time off
- Vision care
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Work Location: One location
Application deadline: 2023-01-30
Expected start date: 2023-01-31