Dedicated exclusively to children and their families, The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) is one of the largest and most respected paediatric healthcare centres in the world. As innovators in child health, we lead and partner to improve the health of children through the integration of healthcare, leading-edge research and education. Our reputation would not have been built – nor could it be maintained – without the skills, knowledge and experience of the extraordinary people who come to work here every day. SickKids is committed to ongoing learning and development, and features a caring and supportive work environment that combines exceptionally high standards of practice.
When you join SickKids, you become part of our community. We share a commitment and determination to fulfill our vision of Healthier Children. A Better World.
Don’t miss out on the opportunity to work alongside the world’s best in paediatric healthcare.
This role acts as a representative of the executive office and the Vice President, Clinical. The role provides executive level administrative support to an executive member at the Hospital for Sick Children in a manner that enables the executive to manage their portfolio in the most efficient and effective manner. The role, based on an understanding of the confidential and sensitive environment of a fast-paced, high pressure executive office, manages the administrative function by: researching and producing required information (reports, presentations, data); managing/screening requests on the executive’s time; anticipating outcomes of requests made to the executive and redirecting or initiating preliminary action; working on special projects for the executive’s office; undertaking the office management for the executive’s office; and planning required meetings, events and travel. In addition, the job is required to act on behalf of the executive in analyzing, resolving and communicating on portfolio wide issues of low to moderate complexity.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Autonomously Supports and acts as partner to the Executive to lead their teams in the business and strategic planning of the Hospital. Utilizes business knowledge and strong interpersonal skills to identify areas and processes for improvement, navigate complex organizational challenges and confidential/sensitive situations to successfully support actioning key deliverables within designated (and changing) timelines
- Fully Cognizant of and involved with all the business in the portfolio to proactively address timelines and priorities. Manage and prioritize initiatives simultaneously through effective verbal communication, writing, editing, research, analysis, and problem solving in a strategic, efficient, and effective manner. The EA possesses strategic business skills, confidence, flexibility, diplomacy, emotional intelligence, and solid interpersonal skills to interact with diverse personalities in a fast-paced work environment
- Strategic and Performance Accountabilities - Support the Executive’s objectives and goals by actively understanding and supporting the Executive's delivery of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs). Monitor the KPIs on behalf of the Executive in order to provide status and input on variance in strategies and timelines
- Finance - Manage access and general administrative oversite of the Executive’s portfolio cost center. Tracks and coordinates medium scope function budgets and processes expense reports. Responsible for the monitoring and processing of Foundation grant funds and working in collaboration with finance to ensure appropriate allocations
- Research and Reporting - Monitor, analyze, and summarize data trends impacting the portfolio. Prepare briefing notes from documents and reports submitted to the Executive office by both internal and external contacts, highlighting the issues of significance and where appropriate, with suggested recommendations for action
- Meetings and Committee Support – Manages and/or oversees all portfolio committees lead by the Executive. Leads and coordinates any necessary pre-work and planning for meetings by managing communications with the committee, sensitive/written reports, meeting minutes, tracking workplan, terms of reference, action items, committee objectives and coordinating corporate deliverables
- Communication & Liaison Support – Represents the Executive’s portfolio by reporting on business activities within the team and using strong business writing expertise to draft communications and action as a communications liaison to ensure the timely dissemination of crucial information to various stakeholders while respecting the highly confidential, privileged, and sensitive nature of the content
- Human Resources Accountabilities – Acts as a liaison for HR by managing employee data, coordinating, and actioning recruitment, onboarding, training, offboarding, ensuring business continuity and the various performance assessment tasks
- Special Assignments and Projects - Identifies, analyzes, and bridges gaps in project management, strategic initiatives, and administrative resources until appropriate personnel structure can be put in place to ensure business continuity. Lead medium scope initiatives by developing strategies and coordinating implementation to meet objectives
- Technology - Demonstrates technology expertise through integrating new and evolving technology tools to assist in streamlining workflows, troubleshooting, developing, gathering, and interpreting data for the Executive. Adapts new technologies to implement innovative workflows to improve processes
- Bachelor’s degree and ideally a graduate of an Office Administration Program or Health Administration Program
- 10 years of senior executive administrative support functions coupled with a min. of 2 years working in a healthcare environment with subject matter knowledge of a clinical nature
- Advanced Technical Skills and knowledge of Microsoft Suite including OneNote, Teams, PowerPoint, Word, Excel, SharePoint and Windows environments in order to prepare presentations, minutes, professional and financial reports
- Accurate (dicta) typing of 70-80 words per minute, minute-taking, correspondence composition and preparation
- Advanced writing, editing and verbal skills, possessing good judgment, interpersonal and critical thinking skills
- Intuitive, anticipatory and comfortable working independently with minimal guidance and oversight.
- Exceptional presentation development skills to support presentations to Executives and Board Committees
- Excellent judgment in the absence of established procedures and precedents.
- Exemplary planning and organization skills with the ability to multi-task and change priorities frequently under short notice
- Strong ability to adapt to and support a variety of different personalities and work-flow preferences
- Ability to manage conflict resolution with diplomacy, confidence and emotional intelligence
- Demonstrated ability to work in an ambiguous, fast-paced environment with multiple competing priorities
- Excellent analytical acumen, problem-solving, and decision-making skills
- Exemplary skills in relationship-building and communication in order to establish trust and confidence with diverse hospital stakeholders
- A solid sense of confidentiality, discretion and professionalism
- Demonstrated high Emotional Intelligence behavioural competency
- A highly collaborative, collegial, and flexible approach to work
- Highly developed analytical, problem solving, negotiation and conflict management skills
- Results-oriented with a commitment to excellence
- Ability to quickly learn and understand unique software platforms that may be presented and manage workflow and organize files in a paperless environment
Employment Type: Permanent, Full-time.
Flexible Hybrid work environment. Join the SickKids Team; work alongside the best & brightest. Freedom to innovate & be your authentic self. Learnings galore, incl. tuition reimbursement. Wellness & Peer Support Programs. Health Benefits & DB Pension Plan.
Our Commitment to Diversity
The children and families we care for are from a variety of communities, and so are our employees. We welcome and encourage everyone to join our organization and be part of our team.
When requested, SickKids will provide access and inclusion supports to eligible candidates to support their full engagement during the interview and assessment process. Information received related to access or inclusion will be addressed confidentially.
Thank you for your interest in joining SickKids. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. In accordance with our Hospital policy, employment at SickKids is conditional upon the Hospital’s receipt of all necessary documentation.
FOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS ONLY: As a health care institution, our highest priority is the safety of patients, families and staff. As a result, we are adopting all prevention measures to ensure the safety of our patients, families and our staff. Therefore, any offer of employment is conditional upon you submitting proof that you have been fully vaccinated with a Health Canada or World Health Organization (WHO) approved COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible and no later than fourteen (14) calendar days prior to the effective start date, in addition to satisfying any other condition(s) that may be set out in an offer. If a candidate fails to satisfy this condition (or any other condition(s) set out in an offer), any offer of employment shall be immediately rescinded.
How to Apply
Tip: Combine your cover letter and resume into ONE document of 20 pages or less as you cannot upload multiple documents as part of your application.
If you are still experiencing technical difficulties please email [email protected] to send us a short description of the issues you are experiencing. Please note that we will not accept resumes sent to this inbox but we are happy to respond to requests for technical assistance.