Poppy is the world’s first commercially available pathogen sensing and detection network that helps protect the places where we work, live, and visit by monitoring both air and surfaces for the COVID-19 virus and thousands of other known pathogens.
Poppy was founded in 2019 with a simple mission: to empower the world to stay healthy together by revealing the pathogens in our spaces, so we all can live safer lives.
Privately held, with offices in San Francisco and Toronto, Poppy’s team comprises award-winning serial entrepreneurs and an advisory board representing some of the best scientific and technical minds. We’re adding part-time scientific Field Specialists located in cities throughout North America to our team to support our growing customer base across the nation.
Poppy is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to an inclusive environment for all employees and contractors.
We're on a quest to help people feel safe when working together. We provide full PPE and training and expect this role to be able to explain the basics of COVID and infectious disease transmissions.
About the Role
We are looking for motivated medically or pharmacologically trained people, or those with undergraduate, MSc, PhD, or PostDoc microbiology backgrounds (students welcome!) located in Toronto, Ontario with a desire to get deeply involved with working hard to help with managing COVID-19.
You are an excellent communicator with experience in customer service and a knack for paying attention to detail, who’s looking for hands-on, contract-based experience at the earliest stage of a tech/biotech startup. You are ready to try your hand at a variety of tasks and projects in support of the founding team. You deliver high-quality work when you say you will, and are eager to learn what it takes to get a new product & company off the ground.
You are available Monday to Friday for an average of 5-20 hours per week, with occasional weekend availability.
What You’ll Do
- Travel to customer sites to conduct air safety and ventilation tests
- Connect with customers to help design and execute air safety and ventilation tests
- Visit customer sites regularly to collect samples and data
- Follow protocols closely to ensure high-quality collections
- Interact with customers and act as a liaison to the rest of the team
- Collaborate in a team environment to provide the best Poppy experience
- Meet regularly with the team to discuss operational tasks
What You Need
- Academic and/or professional background in pharmacology, microbiology, immunology, or life sciences
- Excellent time management skills
- Exceptional verbal communication skills and attention to detail
- Know the importance of following protocols and making logical scientific judgments
- Experience in connecting with customers
- Willingness to adapt and improvise if necessary
- Not afraid to share novel ideas and insights
- Valid drivers license & car (not required if Uber/Lyft is available in your area)
Bonus Points For
- Laboratory experience and in-depth knowledge in biosafety
- Previous experience in customer service
Additional Employment Requirements: Successful candidates will be required to complete a criminal record check and provide proof of COVID-19 vaccinations (or valid records of vaccination exemption and a commitment to submit to regular COVID-19 testing).
Job Types: Part-time, Fixed term contract
Salary: $25.00-$35.00 per hour
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
We're on a quest to help people feel safe when working together. We provide full PPE and training, and expect this role to be able to explain the basics of COVID and infectious disease transmissions.
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred)
Work Location: On the road