WINS is celebrating 30 years of making a difference in the lives of thousands of Calgary women and their families. We provide wrap-around support to women experiencing abuse, poverty, social isolation and homelessness. Through WINS’ social supports, more than 14,000 Calgarians every year are helped on the journey towards empowered and resilient lives.
About the Role
Reporting to the Director – Business Support, the Human Resources & Volunteer Manager is a member of the senior management team. This role provides support in all aspects of Human Resources with an emphasis on strategic development, workforce planning, and employee relations. This role works collaboratively, ensuring that human resources activities support the organization’s vision and mission and are fully aligned with WINS values. This is a part-time or full-time position with flexible hours with a competitive salary, benefits package and has an HR Generalist reporting to it.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to
Business and Human Resources Strategy
- Contribute to WINS overall strategy development and collaborate with other management to ensure the human resources and volunteer sub-strategies are aligned with organization objectives.
- Spearhead communication to employees and volunteers regarding WINS initiatives and direction (change management support).
- Partnering with the Director – Business Support and the President & CEO, support the Board of Director’s Human Resources Committee (HRC) in the preparation of meeting agendas, materials, and minutes, actioning decisions made by the HRC and/or the Board
- Develop and support workforce planning for the organization, ensuring the organization’s staff and volunteer deployment is aligned with organizational needs.
- Working with external consultants, develop and contribute to training strategies and training offerings to support current and future skills requirements.
- Support the administration of the annual Engagement Survey & reporting. Drive and assist with the subsequent action planning and implementation.
- Provide change management and facilitation support as needed.
- Through internal training, ensure managers have appropriate skills to effectively partner in recruitment activities.
- Refresh the recruitment, onboarding, and orientation processes and tools for employees and volunteers.
Talent Management and Organization Support
- Steward the effectiveness of WINS’ performance management process by providing tools, training, and support for managers and staff.
- Ensure that the organization’s Employee, Volunteer, and Program Participant Handbooks, which contain human resources policies and practices, are aligned with WINS values, mission/vision, and business plan. Develop, update, roll-out, and reinforce policies and practices as required.
- Provide everyday support, including investigations, for employee relations and performance management issues.
Rewards and Recognition
- Initiate the annual review of WINS compensation philosophy.
- Conduct base pay benchmarking and analysis in support of budget preparation and the annual salary review program; administer pay adjustments and bonus/incentive programs.
- Steward WINS’ benefits programs to ensure they cost-effectively meet the needs of the organization.
- Oversee the volunteer program by providing leadership in effectively engaging volunteers to further the missions of WINS.
- Coordinate, develop and deliver appropriate training for volunteers to be successful in their positions.
- Lead the Volunteer Committee and participate in the planning and developing of volunteer roles, recruitment strategies and recognition programs.
- Monitor and review volunteers ensuring they receive sufficient support and achieve their goals.
- Work closely with all department managers to periodically assess needs for volunteer expertise and level of volunteer staffing.
Administration and Management
- Report on human resources key performance indicators in support of organizational performance.
- Provide input to operating and capital budgets related to functional responsibilities
- Ensure compliance with all regulations, policies and internal controls including but not limited to health and safety, insurance, and financial policies.
- A true collaborator and relationship builder who promotes teamwork and individual accountability.
- Excellent written, verbal, presentation, and communication skills and aptitude.
- A positive, can-do attitude combined with a dynamic and energetic personal style.
- Excellent generalist knowledge of a wide range of human resources competency areas. Key areas of knowledge must include compensation & benefits, performance management, employee relations, policy and practice development, change management, coaching, and team development.
- Superb skills in dealing with ambiguity and creating workable, compassionate and practical solutions for complex employee relations issues.
- A working knowledge of Alberta employment and occupational health & safety legislation and practice.
- Demonstrated strategic thinking ability leading to the generation and implementation of new ideas and concepts.
- Excellent analytical skills, both of numbers and other data/information.
- Solid computer skills (including MSWord, PowerPoint, and especially Excel) are essential.
- Familiarity with retail operations and/or not-for-profit operations is an asset.
- WINS thrift stores and donations processing operate 7 days/week and managers are required to engage in efforts to promote WINS. This role requires occasional evenings and weekend work.
- 5 years’ experience in a senior human resources leadership role participating as a member of a senior management team, plus at least 10 years of other human resources experience.
- Certification as a human resource professional (CPHR) is an asset, as is a Certified Compensation Professional (CPP) designation.
- Degree or diploma in business administration or commerce. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
Women in Need Society is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Job Type: Part-time
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Flexible schedule
- Paid time off
- Store discount
- Vision care
- Monday to Friday