Garrington Group of Companies is a full-service working capital and trade finance company. We place a great importance on our core values of empathy, integrity, respect, reliability, and excellence. We are committed to demonstrate these values in our culture, in every interaction and with every person involved within our company.
Please visit https://garringtoncapital.com for more information.
We are currently looking to fill a dual-role that encompasses typical office management duties, as well as all general HR activities. The ideal candidate will be a strong communicator, eager to learn, and have an uncanny attention to detail. The candidate will also have a service oriented mindset, a positive attitude, and willingness to learn.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for recruitment efforts, including job posting, candidate screening, interviewing, background and reference checking, drafting and extending offers of employment.
- New hire on-boarding, including obtaining, processing and filing new hire documents, payroll set up, as well as coordinating IT setup and couriers for company property, and providing new hire orientation.
- Maintaining up-to-date the company HRIS systems and employee records on an ongoing basis.
- Administering and managing benefits, including health insurance and worker’s compensation.
- Performing the day-to-day and year-end payroll functions, including preparing and processing payroll cycles on a regular basis, managing employee deductions, reconciliation of any payroll issues, and registering companies for payroll.
- Calculating, and communicating with employees, of all payroll adjustments, including withholdings and deductions, pay rate changes, termination and severance pay, and vacation pay.
- Supporting all compliance requirements and assisting with researching legislation updates that impact HR and payroll.
- Acting as the main point of contact on all HR, payroll, and other employment matters and questions, and escalating as needed.
- Assisting management on employment terminations, as required.
- Off-boarding employees, including drafting and/or processing the paperwork, liaising with the employee on all off-boarding matters, including benefits, payroll, IT off-boarding and company property retrieval.
- Preparing and updating HR policies and procedures.
- Assisting with the development and implementation of HR processes in alignment with corporate strategy, mission, vision, and goals, as well as best practices.
- Answering employment related questions or concerns regarding corporate policies, procedures, employment law and regulations, benefits, payroll and other HR matters, and escalating as needed.
- Assisting and advising management on employee relations issues, including complaints, harassment allegations and accommodation requests.
- Assisting management with training and development efforts, including delivering HR training sessions.
- Running monthly JHSC meetings.
- Ensuing ongoing HR legal compliance.
- Coordinating and hosting company social events and communications.
- Assisting with ongoing projects and process improvements.
- Performing all other HR related duties, as required.
Office Management and Administration
- Establishing and overseeing office and administrative priorities, processes, policies and procedures, as well as analyzing, evaluating and implementing new procedures.
- Preparing and overseeing the office budget, managing inventory and office supplies, and maintaining budgetary controls.
- Responding to daily inquiries from clients, vendors, and employees, and handling day-to-day corporate, office, and administrative matters.
- Overseeing the office on a day-to-day basis, including ensuring the office is fully stocked, ready to host meetings, and that office operations are running smoothly.
- Managing office equipment, vendor relationships, purchases and disposal of assets, parking, maintenance and security services.
- Provide administrative support during in-office meetings, including ordering catering and/or providing refreshments.
- Managing and assigning building access cards and parking passes.
- Delegating mail, voicemails, and calls to return, as well as sending out, distributing, and storing correspondence.
- Coordinating team building activities and corporate events.
- Ensuring office security requirements are maintained.
- Mailing out and receiving packages, as requested.
- Acting as the main point of contact on all office related matters.
- Performing other office related duties, as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Excellent communication skills over the phone, in-person, and email
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite and email applications
- Ability to learn and use new computer software
- Effective time management and organization skills with an ability to work in a fast-paced, high-volume environment
- Excellent attention to detail and high accuracy
- Strong analytical, critical-thinking, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Education & Experience
- College or Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources
- Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) designation (or designation in progress)
- 1 year of general Human Resources experience
- 1 year of office management or administrative experience
- Joint Health and Safety Certification Part 1 and 2, considered an asset
We thank all applicants for showing their interest. However, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Please note: All employment is conditional upon completing and obtaining a satisfactory background check, including educational and employment references. Must be able to legally work in Canada.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer striving to foster an inclusive and accessible environment. We are committed to creating an atmosphere without discrimination. We encourage applications from those who will enhance the diversity of our community.
We are committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. Should you require an accommodation during the interview process, please make your needs known in advance and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs.