- Provides administrative lab support, ensures work is performed in accordance with all requirements of an accredited and licensed laboratory.
- Receives, assesses sample submissions and stores laboratory samples for analysis; reviews accompanying sample chain of custody for accuracy and ensures submissions are in conformity with regulations, laboratory policies and procedures. Creates service requests. Communicates any nonconformity or deficiency to clients.
- Updates and maintains records. Logs samples and test registrations in the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS), and maintains submission forms and labels for pre-logged samples for distribution and various water treatment plants.
- Prepares lab samples and documentation; organizes and sorts samples for distribution and shipment to external labs.
- Communicates with various clients, general public, lab staff, and City staff. Responds to inquiries and complaints utilizing in-depth knowledge of procedures and regulations.
- Prepares lead kits, preservatives and mix agents. Preserves samples when necessary; monitors sample fridge temperature daily or as required.
- Monitors, orders and maintains supplies / resource materials for unit or other locations.
- Operates office equipment and computers utilizing a variety of software packages.
- Facilitates the pick-up and delivery of personal protective equipment, including Lab coats for cleaning.
- Performs varied administrative tasks.
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- University degree or College diploma in Environmental Science or related field of study with experience working in a laboratory or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience using Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) or a similar information management system
- Experience with high volume data entry
You must also have:
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite such as Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, OneNote and SharePoint.
- Ability to utilize other software relevant to Toronto Water Laboratories.
- Strong attention to detail, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision and to set priorities, plan and execute tasks, meet competing deadlines often within time restraints.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills with the ability to respond to staff courteously.
Dee Avenue - 30 Dee Ave, North York, ON M9N 1S9
Commissioner Street - 545 Commissioners St, Toronto, ON M4M 1A5 (Commissioner St. position to move to Dee Ave. in fall of 2023)
Note: All City of Toronto employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire in accordance with the City's Mandatory Vaccination Policy. Candidates will be required to show proof of vaccination during the recruitment process.
NOTE TO INTERNAL FULL-TIME AND PART-TIME CITY OF TORONTO EMPLOYEES:
City of Toronto employees must apply to full-time or part-time employment opportunities posted on the City's Internal Job Posting Portal.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
The City is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace culture of inclusiveness that reflects the diverse residents that we serve. Learn more about the City’s commitment to employment equity.
The City of Toronto is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs. Disability-related accommodation during the application process is available upon request. Learn more about the City’s Hiring Policies and Accommodation Process.