Location: Downtown Toronto (May be able to work remotely part-time)
Landings LLP is a full-service Refugee, Immigration and Human Rights Law firm. Landings LLP represents individuals seeking refugee protection, temporary and permanent immigration status in Canada and Canadian citizenship. We also assist individuals and their families when problems arise with their immigration status. In addition, we act for non-government organizations who want legal advice, and we challenge unjust laws and government actions through constitutional litigation. We are often involved in high-profile cases and regularly appear before the Immigration and Refugee Board and all levels of Court, including the Supreme Court of Canada. We seek a legal assistant to join our growing team.
- Support legal file work;
- Maintain administrative systems; and,
- Streamline processes.
The ideal candidate
Our ideal candidate is well-organized, articulate, and thrives in a fast-paced environment. You are compassionate, patient, and empathetic. You are able to work with people whose first language may not be English, individuals who have experienced trauma or who may have mental health concerns. A demonstrated interest in working with refugees and migrants is an asset.
You are detail-oriented and a quick learner. You are a team player and enjoy working collaboratively. You are proactive and follow through on tasks. You know that providing excellent legal services requires clear communication and an organized and efficient office.
Experience or training as a law clerk, legal assistant or administrator, and a high comfort with using technology, are assets.
Responsibilities and tasks include:
- Support lawyer with file work, case preparation and special projects
- Putting together disclosure and other documentation packages
- Draft correspondence
- File materials with tribunals and courts
- Draft invoices
- Calendarize deadlines and follow-ups
- File maintenance and review
- Working with clients on forms and tracking client documents
- Working with the firm’s administrative team to design and improve firm systems
- Assisting with other firm wide tasks as needed
Landings LLP will consider applications on a rolling basis. Please send your resume and a covering letter for consideration. Only applicants who are offered interviews will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $40,000.00-$42,500.00 per year
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Toronto, ON: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (preferred)
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Toronto, ON