Canada Goose isn't like anything else. We've built something great, something special - an iconic lifestyle brand with an inspirational and authentic story. At the heart of it is our promise to inspire and enable all people to thrive in the world outside. To Live in the Open. At Canada Goose, you're part of a movement that belongs to something bigger. One that seeks out the restorative power of nature and is driven by a purpose to keep the planet cold and the people on it warm. We endure any condition, observe every detail, and are building a community that believes in living bravely and coming together to support game-changing people.
Here, opportunities are everywhere - to try something new, to learn, to do meaningful and impactful work, and they're yours for the taking.
The Innovation LAB is on a mission to generate unique value to bring the future of Canada Goose to life. We are here to enhance and support the company Core Values as a Product Led, Function First brand while retaining Canada Goose’s unique culture and point of view.
The materials innovator is responsible for pushing the innovation agenda through a material lens by identifying unique materials opportunities, conducting materials research and driving development of innovation initiatives. The innovator assists in transforming ambiguous innovation ideas to Proof of Concept by pushing the edges of materials solutions.
The materials innovator applies materials knowledge and research to influence product creation and ensures that the development of materials meets or exceeds Canada Goose’s quality and sustainability standards to upkeep product integrity and excellence. The materials innovator enjoys collaborating across the innovation lab team and inline groups and brings expertise to new and existing materials solutions.
- Work with the Innovation Manager to source/develop, evaluate and approve materials to expand the innovation portfolio:
- Collaborate with the Innovation Manager to identify/ determine areas of opportunities for research to support company business objectives
- Prepare research proposals/quotes and offer recommendations for funds approval
- Scout, evaluate, prioritize materials and manufacturing opportunities while considering longevity, environmental impacts and product circularity to drive the innovation portfolio
- Synthesize research and human insights to transform them into key conclusions, compelling business stories, and strategic recommendations
- Work closely with Innovation Tester, QA and inline Materials team and utilize external labs expertise to develop appropriate test plan in both laboratory and field testing for projects
- Collaborate with Innovation tester and offer guidance to collect, record and analyze data
- Work closely with Innovation LAB on advanced prototyping, materials, concept design and validation testing to ensure a clear understanding of construction and finished details of the concept
- Provide periodic updates to stakeholders and compile and communicate analyzed findings about the projects with recommendations to influence product creation from brief to Proof of Concept
- Ensure that all validated innovation materials achieve readiness for inline adoption through close working relationship/ communication with inline Materials, Design, Sourcing, QA and Corporate Sustainability teams.
- Maintain Materials Innovation Library
Experience, Education and Designations:
- Bachelor’s degree with a focus on textile/yarn engineering or design; advanced degree preferred.
- 5+ years of experience working with mills, materials fabricators, 3rd party testing laboratories
- Deep technical knowledge and understanding of textiles and non-textile manufacturing technologies.
- Experience working in the apparel industry is an asset, but not required
- Experience working with Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) is an asset, but not required
Knowledge, Skills and Attributes:
- Passion for building sustainable product using best in class materials
- Knowledge of traditional materials manufacturing techniques and curious about exploring new ones
- Knowledge of research principles and open to gaining new knowledge
- Knowledge of polymeric materials, textile engineering and their processing
- Experience in materials testing and data analytics skills to drive the innovation cycle
- Self-starter that is organized, detailed, a team player, multi-task oriented
- Ability to work and execute in an ambiguous environment and drive projects forward based on scientific research, data-led decision and alignments from the management
- Ability to work with others as a team player to ideate and maintain a high level of professionalism and discretion
- Consistently exhibits Canada Goose’s Values, taking pride in being innovative, respectful, passionate, accountable, and entrepreneurial while exhibiting personal commitment
- Working from home, Office and Laboratory environment
- Travel (including international) to field or manufacturing location when required < 5%