Dedicated exclusively to children and their families, The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) is one of the largest and most respected paediatric healthcare centres in the world. As innovators in child health, we lead and partner to improve the health of children through the integration of healthcare, leading-edge research and education. Our reputation would not have been built – nor could it be maintained – without the skills, knowledge and experience of the extraordinary people who come to work here every day. SickKids is committed to ongoing learning and development, and features a caring and supportive work environment that combines exceptionally high standards of practice.
When you join SickKids, you become part of our community. We share a commitment and determination to fulfill our vision of Healthier Children. A Better World.
Don’t miss out on the opportunity to work alongside the world’s best in paediatric healthcare.
Reporting to the Supervisor, MDRD, the Medical Device Reprocessor is responsible for the cleaning, disinfection, preparation, sterilization and distribution of reusable medical devices. Reprocessing of medical devices and distribution of sterile medical supplies in a timely, efficient and organized manner for use in patient care areas of the hospital. Completion of daily scheduled work assignments. Provision of required instruments and supplies for surgical procedures as per Operating Room daily activities and special requests. Ability to follow guidelines as required of Canadian Standards Association (CSA), Provincial Infection Disease Advisory Committee (PIDAC), hospital and departmental policies, procedures, and protocols. Strict adherence to infection control and quality assurance standards to ensure medical devices are safe for patient use. Rotation through all departmental work assignments. Ability to work effectively both independently and with the team of MDR staff on shift.
Shift: Monday – Friday 3:00-11:00pm .
Although this posting indicates an initial area of assignment and shift, the Hospital reserves the right to assign to other areas of assignment and shifts as deemed necessary.
Here’s What You’ll Get To Do:
- Receive, disassemble and sort reusable medical devices in preparation for cleaning and disinfection. Use of both manual and mechanical methods as well as chemical detergents and disinfectants in the decontamination process.
- Dry, sort, inspect, reassemble, test (as appropriate), package and label all medical devices according to departmental procedures.
- Inspect surgical instrument sets for the operating room and other areas of the hospital for cleanliness, functionality and completeness.
- Responsible for the sterilization of all reusable medical/surgical devices, using steam, ethylene oxide and gas plasma methods of sterilization.
- Ensure sterilization activities are carried out in a safe, efficient and timely manner. Mechanical, chemical and biological monitoring of sterilization activities.
- Prepare, identify and deliver reprocessed medical devices as per established procedures using case carts, exchange carts and top up methods of distribution.
- Answer to requests for medical device supplies.
- Maintain set levels of sterile supplies.
- Maintain all supply stock in work area. Inform supervisor of damaged, lost and/or shortage of equipment
- Cleaning of sterilization equipment according to maintenance schedule.
- Maintain a safe can clean work environment. Practice safety at all times and wears personal protective equipment when required.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- Technical or Community College or Equivalent
- Recently completed recognized Post-Secondary Certificate in Medical Device Reprocessing (within 5 years) or continuous work experience in medical device reprocessing environment if Certificate is older than 5 years
- Centennial College or equivalent with Clinical Placement and recent experience preferred or MDRAO Certificate with minimum of 1 year recent experience.
- Minimum 6 months to 1 year experience in the job.
- Understand the concepts related to medical device decontamination.
- Ability to identify and inspect medical devices for functionality, cleanliness and complete set contents.
- Knowledge and ability to describe the sterilization quality assurance and indicator monitoring methods used in MDR.
- Ability to utilize various distribution methods for medical devices in MDR.
- Strong Communication skills required. Must be able to read, write and speak English fluently.
- Must be accurate and detailed in work habits.
- Excellent people skills with the ability to work both independently and in a team setting, with the ability to act as a role model and provide instruction to other team members.
- Basic computer skills.
- Ability to lift/push/pull of moderate and heavy medical devices.
Employment Type: Full-Time
Our Commitment to Diversity
The children and families we care for are from a variety of communities, and so are our employees. We welcome and encourage everyone to join our organization and be part of our team.
When requested, SickKids will provide access and inclusion supports to eligible candidates to support their full engagement during the interview and assessment process. Information received related to access or inclusion will be addressed confidentially.
Thank you for your interest in joining SickKids. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. In accordance with our Hospital policy, employment at SickKids is conditional upon the Hospital’s receipt of all necessary documentation.
FOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS ONLY: As a health care institution, our highest priority is the safety of patients, families and staff. As a result, we are adopting all prevention measures to ensure the safety of our patients, families and our staff. Therefore, any offer of employment is conditional upon you submitting proof that you have been fully vaccinated with a Health Canada or World Health Organization (WHO) approved COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible and no later than fourteen (14) calendar days prior to the effective start date, in addition to satisfying any other condition(s) that may be set out in an offer. If a candidate fails to satisfy this condition (or any other condition(s) set out in an offer), any offer of employment shall be immediately rescinded.
How to Apply
Tip: Combine your cover letter and resume into ONE document of 20 pages or less as you cannot upload multiple documents as part of your application.
If you are still experiencing technical difficulties please email [email protected] to send us a short description of the issues you are experiencing. Please note that we will not accept resumes sent to this inbox but we are happy to respond to requests for technical assistance.