Project Manager I
At Halton Region, we treat everyone with respect, honesty, fairness and trust. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse population we serve. Halton Region is committed to providing accommodation to individuals with disabilities throughout the recruitment process.
If you are looking for a role where you can lead a team towards the delivery of municipal infrastructure projects for the residents of Halton, we want to hear from you. Over the next 10 years, the Region will be investing over $5 billion in transportation, water and wastewater infrastructure. We are committed to delivering high quality infrastructure for the residents, businesses and visitors to Halton Region, and are looking for dedicated, forward thinking and enthusiastic individuals to join our Public Works team!
As an employer of choice, Halton Region recognizes the many benefits of hybrid work arrangements including flexibility and better work-life balance for our employees. Where the work permits, employees will have the choice to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals. Please note, this position is eligible for our Hybrid Work Program/Work from Home Arrangement.
Posting ID: 1438
Department: Public Works
Division: Water & Wastewater Treatment
Pay Range: $73,896- $98,529
Job Type: Contract > 1 Year
Contract Duration: Up to 20 months
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week
Work Location: Mid-Halton Wastewater Treatment Plant, 2195 North Service Road West, Oakville
Employee Group: OCT
Posting Date: January 23, 2023
Application Deadline: February 12, 2023
The Project Manager I will manage and deliver capital Water and Wastewater treatment projects including SCADA under the direction of the Senior Project Advisor, Plant Capital & Engineering.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide project administration support to other Project Managers and Senior Project Advisors.
- Liaise with Asset Planning, SCADA, Plant Operations and Maintenance Staff to define project requirements and implementation timelines.
- Implement and provide project management through budget definition and planning, design, construction and commissioning stages.
- Responsible for detailed project planning and business case development, including trade-offs for scope, schedule and cost definition.
- Applies the Region’s risk based asset management program for project prioritization.
- Prepares Terms of Reference and evaluates proposals for engaging consultants in engineering projects. Arranges and administers Consultant Agreements and provides all necessary directions and supervision to ensure compliance with Halton requirements.
- Ensures projects are designed and constructed according to engineering best practices and Health and Safety Regulations for non-development and development projects.
- Exercises effective cost and schedule controls of projects.
- Liaises with Municipal, Provincial and Federal Agencies to obtain all necessary approvals and permits for the implementation of projects. Knowledge of applicable legislation (Safe Drinking Water Act, Clean Water Act, Ontario Water Resources Act, Environmental Protection Act, American Water Works Association Standards, Construction Act and Occupational Health and Safety Act).
- Negotiates and resolves claims and disputes from contractors and other outside service providers.
- Ensures that all services to the residents and businesses of Halton are delivered in keeping with Halton’s commitment to excellence in customer service by consistently demonstrating, supporting and developing these skills in sectional staff.
- Provides specific and broad advice and guidance to the Public Work’s Senior Management Team to support delivery of key strategic projects.
- Provides engineering support to Water and Wastewater Operations and Maintenance.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Skills & Qualifications
- Degree in Engineering, Diploma in Civil Engineering Technology, Applied Sciences or related discipline.
- Certified Engineering Technologist (CET) registration with the Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technologists and Technicians (OACETT) or a Professional Engineering (P.Eng.).
- Should have a minimum of on to two (1-2) years of relevant experience supporting and managing projects in planning, design and construction.
- Working knowledge of legislation and guidelines related to planning, design, construction, contract administration, and operations of municipal infrastructure and the environment, and relevant regulations enforced by federal and provincial approval agencies including the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, along with strong facilitation, negotiation and dispute resolution skills.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Previous experience in water and/or wastewater treatment process and SCADA automation
Working/ Employment Conditions
- Flexibility in working hours will be required as there may be frequent trips to operational facilities.
- Travel is required predominately to project sites and treatment plants within Halton Region. There may be a requirement to travel outside the Region for training, conferences and inter-Regional meetings. The incumbent must have a valid Ontario Driver’s License and supply own transportation.
- The successful candidate will be made an offer of employment on condition that the Regional Municipality of Halton receives a current (obtained within the past six (6) months), original and acceptable Criminal Records Check, by the first day of employment.
- In support of the Region’s commitment to a healthy and safe workplace and community, the Region has a vaccination requirement for all employees. The successful candidate will be made an offer of employment on the condition of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and able to provide proof of vaccination. The candidate will be asked to provide the Region with proof of full vaccination, prior to their employment start date. The requirement to be fully vaccinated is subject to the Ontario Human Rights Code. If the candidate is unable to vaccinate for a reason protected by the Code, a request for accommodation can be requested and written proof satisfactory to the Region will be required.
Important information about your application:
- In accordance with requirements in Ontario Regulation 191/11 – Integrated Accessibility Standards and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Halton Region will accommodate the needs of individuals with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process, please inform the Talent Acquisition representative of the nature of the accommodation(s) you require.
- Please submit your application online. We will accommodate individual needs for applicants with disabilities and others who are not able to apply online. If you experience any issues with submitting your application, please contact HR Access at 905-825-6000 extension 7700.
- Applications will be accepted until 11:59 p.m. on the deadline date specified on the posting.
- We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
- Personal information collected through the job application process will only be used for the purpose of determining qualifications for employment.
- If selected for an interview, you will be contacted by email and/or phone. Please ensure the contact information provided on your resume is up to date and that you check your email and voicemail regularly.
Halton Region serves more than 595,000 residents throughout Burlington, Halton Hills, Milton and Oakville. We are committed to the delivery of high quality programs and services that make Halton a great place to live and work. We engage great people who contribute to meaningful work that makes a positive difference in our community. At Halton, you are encouraged to grow and succeed in your career and are recognized for your accomplishments and contributions. As an employee, you will be part of a progressive, service focused and award winning employer with a diverse and inclusive work environment.