The Opportunity – Research & Innovation Chemist (Adhesives)
Reporting to the Research & Innovation Manager (or designate), the R&I Chemist will focus on the Research and Development of innovative water-based bio-based products for the CASE Industries (Coatings, Adhesives, Sealants and Elastomers).
· To design new water-based bio-based adhesives and water-based bio-based polymer products. Improve existing products and provide technical service and support to the sales department, manufacturing and customers as required.
· Development of novel water-based bio-based products focusing on the use of bio-based materials as well as renewable and sustainable raw materials. To expand on Lorama’s green and environmentally friendly product offering.
· Perform a wide range of organic synthesis reactions focusing on developing a strong understanding of the chemistry required to functionalize water-based bio-based/renewable materials and utilize them for industrial applications e.g. water-based adhesives and bio-based temporary coatings.
· To carry out lab synthesis and project/product research work on various projects in an efficient and structured manner. Follow project management principles and Good Laboratory Practice.
· To write up formulas for manufacturing and costing, set Quality Control specifications, provide technical datasheets, samples, etc.
· To assist the manufacturing department in the scale up of new products and resolve manufacturing problems.
· To assist the Q.C. department in investigation of customer complaints if required.
· Other responsibilities which management may require from time to time.
· Other duties and projects as assigned.
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
· BSc, Masters, or PhD (or comparable qualifications or sufficient work experience) in science with an emphasis on Polymer Science, Material Science and/or Adhesive Chemistry. A thorough understanding of the chemistry and physics behind adhesives would be beneficial.
· Some experience formulating, testing, and trialing new, commercially viable water-based adhesive products. Advantageous would be experience in water-based adhesives, bio-based water-based adhesives, temporary coatings, and binders as well as bio-based versions.
· Knowledge of adhesive raw materials and suppliers would be advantageous.
· Knowledge of water-based adhesive manufacturing, processing, application and/or converting equipment would be advantageous.
· Experience with equipment like hot presses for processing and Instron for testing thickness swell ratios, IB, MOE and MOR would be highly advantageous.
· Excellent communication skills – oral and written.
· Friendly individual that enjoys interaction with others.
· Ability to effectively multitask and manage projects.
· Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
· Ability to work independently and in a team environment to achieve goals.
· Compliance with laboratory Health, Safety and Environmental rules and regulations.
· Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Suite Products (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel) and experimental/statistical design software.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Casual dress
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision care
- Work from home
Flexible Language Requirement:
- French not required
- 8 hour shift
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Mississauga, ON: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred)
Work Location: One location