Posting date: September 19, 2022
Job Title: Small Business Specialist
Number of Vacancies: 1
Posting number: EX22-1103
Status: Limited position
Estimated Probable Duration: Seven (7) Months (Backfilling Funded Position)
Hours of Work: 70 hours bi-weekly
Shift Work Required: Some evening and weekend work may be required
Range of Pay: $27.85 to $33.63 per hour
Start date: To follow selection process
Initial Reporting Location: Tom Davies Square
Eligible to Work from Home: Yes (part time)
Section: Investment and Business Development
Division: Economic Development
Department: Office of the Chief Administrative Officer**
Duties: Under the general supervision of the Business Development Officer – Entrepreneurship.
1. Responsible for client follow-up to gain information on start-up, jobs created and debt/equity investment.
2. Guide, advise and counsel clients through business start-up procedures, business planning, market research, regulations and available resources.
3. Review and critique business plans, marketing plans, financial plans and funding applications to help guide clients through the feasibility and growth stages.
4. Conduct consultations and site visits with clients at various stages of business development and expansion.
5. Prepare clients for various financing sources and assist with proposal/application development.
6. Provide guidance to individuals, groups and/or local organizations involved in the commercial sector that require assistance in working with the various departments of CGS.
7. Assist in the implementation of a business retention and expansion program for Small and Medium Enterprises in the CGS region.
8. Responsible for the development, maintenance and delivery of the Community Outreach and Starter Company Plus programs, and the reporting requirements to partners.
9. Assist with the development and delivery of Small Business Week and the Bridges to Better Business Conference (theme/venue/marketing).
10. Oversee the development and administration of partner relationships directly related to the Regional Business Centre’s mentorship program.
11. Organize, co-ordinate and deliver small business seminar material to participants.
12. Assist in the organization, implementation and reporting of the Regional Business Centre’s sponsored programs and services through active participation in the development of innovative services or enhanced business solutions/processes.
13. Assist with promoting and marketing the Regional Business Centre’s services, as well as have a thorough understanding of the available public and private sector business resources for entrepreneurship.
14. Organize and attend meetings with representatives of local service organizations, First Nations, local businesses and representatives of community organizations and work with other economic development partners to build strong relationships and to stimulate economic growth.
15. Assist in the preparation of reports for various partners of the Regional Business Centre and the Business Development Section.
16. Assist the Business Development Officer - Entrepreneurship regarding Regional Business Centre activities, as required.
17. Develop and maintain a through working knowledge of CGS’s Safety Manual and the applicable Provincial Legislation listed therein.
18. Perform other related duties as required.
- Successful completion of a Community College Diploma in Business Administration or related field from a recognized institution with Canadian accreditation.
- Over two and one-half (2½) up to and including five (5) years related experience.
- Knowledge of various computer applications including Windows based systems, Internet, word processing, data base and spreadsheet applications.
- Demonstrate ability to provide excellent customer service.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal and communications skills.
- Demonstrate organizational and analytical ability.
- Demonstrate skills and abilities related to the use of information technology.
- Work outside regular office hours as required.
- Excellent use of English; verbally and in writing.
- Satisfactory health, attendance and employment history.
- Must be physically capable of operating a vehicle safely, possess a valid driver’s licence, have an acceptable driving record, and personal insurance coverage.
How to Apply:
Résumés quoting EX22-1103 are invited and will be received by the City of Greater Sudbury’s Human Resources and Organizational Development Division, by e-mail at [email protected] or fax at 705-688-3979, for the above noted position until 4:30 p.m. on Thursday, October 6, 2022. Any application received after this deadline will not be considered.
For further instructions on how to apply to this position, please visit our How to Apply section.
All City of Greater Sudbury employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire in accordance with the City's mandatory Vaccination Policy. Please do not submit your proof of vaccination with your resume. This information will only be required if you are selected as the candidate of choice.
For more information regarding working from home, please refer to the Work From Home Program* section.*
All applicants are thanked for their interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If contacted, and you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process you must advise the Hiring Manager.
The City of Greater Sudbury has launched a survey to understand what prospective employees are looking for from an employer. Please take a few minutes to provide us with your input. Your responses will be anonymous. Thank you in advance for your participation in the survey!
The City of Greater Sudbury is dedicated to maintaining a fair and equitable work environment, and are happy to hire qualified (including education credential) applicants from anywhere. In order to hire a candidate one must be legally entitled to work in Canada, with legally entitled being defined as having all of the necessary paperwork processed, approved and responded to, by way of a work permit being issued and received. Personal information submitted will be used for the purpose of determining suitability for this competition only in accordance with The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $27.85-$33.63 per hour