The Transportation Manager, under the direction of the Vice President, will primarily be responsible for efficiency planning, cost reduction, budget control, and performance maximization. A focus on establishing and implementing policies and standards for the transportation and storage of goods will also be key in this role.
- All Dispatchers
- Logistics Supervisor (s)
- Customer Service Department/ Operations Admin
- Owner Operators
· Knowledge of transportation operations, including messenger, overnight and line haul hub and spoke. Knowledge of dispatch and warehousing procedures.
· Ability to interact and communicate with all levels of business and management.
· Leadership and people skills.
· Excellent communication skills: written and verbal.
· Demonstrated capabilities for planning and budgeting
· Structured, organized and systematic
· Ability to implement action plans to achieve the stated goals and objectives.
· Knowledgeable in various project planning and monitoring techniques.
· Ability to handle multiple tasks and responsibilities to drive successful outcomes.
· Experience in Microsoft Word, Excel, TMS, WMS with a general knowledge of computer software and hardware.
- Meet with other department managers as leadership to drive best practices and smooth operational transitions enhancing customer service.
- Build and maintain an effective team of customer service representatives, owner operators.
- Lead, coach, and motivate the team to achieve service goals at the department level.
- Address customer complaints and concerns that have been escalated in a timely and professional manner.
- Investigate and determine root cause of service failures and implement corrective actions.
- Manage and further develop compliance monitoring tools and KPI targets
- Effectively plan and execute shipments to achieve on time delivery.
- Drive standardization of processes across all brands to reduce complexity of inbound operations.
- Freight rate negotiation - 3rd-party Carriers
- Manage freight relationships with carriers using the service level agreement’s Key Performance Indicators and regular reviews with suppliers;
- Manage key vendor and customer relationships;
- Determine optimal transportation modes, routing, and equipment to meet customers’ requirements;
- Manage and coach staff, creating engaging environment and enabling professional growth
- Seek out and research opportunities to improve methods, processes, procedures and equipment.
- Ensure that each employee in the transportation department is provided with a written job description and receives evaluations at company prescribed intervals, in a sound and fair manner.
- Oversee and ensure compliance with all government regulations relating to transportation and safety requirements.
- Coordinate training and orientation for new owner operators and employees.
- Recruit, hire, train, discipline, evaluate, terminate and recommend changes in pay compensation for all owner operators in accordance with the company policies and procedures
- Maintain employee and owner operator morale through effective communication and regular meetings.
- Develop strategic performance metrics and targets that are consistent with company goals
- Plan the department's workload and flow
- Assist in developing Standard Operating Procedures for the department and ensure procedures are followed
- Ensure waybills are gathered, monitored and controlled. Report discrepancies and issues in a timely manner and ensure penalties are enforced in a timely manner
- Ensure existing rates and new rates are entered into the system accurately and timely
- Review fuel surcharges as required
- Any other tasks or duties as assigned
- Operation of desktop computer and peripherals, long periods of sitting
- Flexible hours. Availability on weekends, holidays and after hours as required, possible out of town travel
- Interaction with customers, clients, and self-employed contractors
- Enclosed office environment, at times warehouse environment. Need to factor in noise levels, fluctuating temperatures, safety.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $80,000.00-$85,000.00 per year
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
Flexible Language Requirement:
- French not required
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Halton Hills, ON: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred)
- Logistics: 5 years (preferred)
- Management: 5 years (preferred)
Work Location: One location